Short History of Ballinrobe Community School
Education is by no means a new concept in Ballinrobe.
The Sisters of Mercy provided the town with primary education in the 1850’s and in 1920 the Mercy Intermediate School – forerunner of the Sacred Heart Secondary School was founded.
The Christian Brothers opened the doors of their school in 1879 when ten pupils were prepared for the first Intermediate exams ever held. Many other candidates were presented throughout the following century and right up to September 1990.
In 1962 with the opening of the Vocational School all the needs of second level students were provided for.
The 1967 Free Education Act made a dramatic impact on the educational scene in Ballinrobe. Free education and free transport increased pupil intake greatly. The Convent School was enlarged and pre-fabs were added to the Christian Brothers School and the Vocational School.
1990 saw the merging of three educational units to form today’s Ballinrobe Community School, wherein provision is made for subjects ranging from the three R’s through to European Languages, the Sciences, Business/Secretarial and Childcare at FETAC Level 5, Technology, Skills in Metal and Wood, Art and right up to Personal Development.